Divorce is a legal process that ends a marriage legally and changes the relation between the former married couple. It is perhaps the most disturbing event in anyone’s life. Choosing the wrong attorney can make your trouble all the more tragic. So, the first step to a successful legal process is getting the right divorce lawyer to represent you. But before that, it is very important to know whether you are filing for a divorce or have been served a divorce summon. click Console and Associates P.C.
How to choose a good divorce attorney
• The first and foremost step towards a good lawyer is to ask for referrals from friends and family. People with personal experiences of a divorce process can give you good suggestions and referrals.
• You can also search in the internet about good divorce lawyers. Get all the information regarding the lawyers and their experiences.
• Talk to at least three or four lawyers and clear all your doubts. You should always get a second opinion before deciding on anyone.
• You should always find a lawyer who makes you feel comfortable and be a guide to you. If you feel uncomfortable in the initial meeting itself, don’t go for the particular lawyer. The divorce process is a very frustrating period and you always need an attorney who will be there in your corner.
• When you set a meeting with your divorce lawyer, write down all the queries that you have and get them clarified. This will help both of you to get a better understanding of your situation.
• Lastly, don’t hesitate to clarify any doubts regarding fees and mode of payments. This will help you calculate the total amount you would require in the entire legal procedure.
There are two kinds of divorce available in the state of Pennsylvania in the US-fault-based divorce and no-fault divorce. The no-fault divorce is very popular in Pennsylvania as it is very cheap and is easier and you don’t have to appear before a court or a judge. You need to file papers necessary for the divorce.
Where to file for divorce
You can file for divorce in Philadelphia County if anyone of you lived in Pennsylvania for 6 months right away before filing of the divorce complaint. You may also file a case if either of you presently stays in Philadelphia or you agree to go for divorce in Philadelphia. In Philadelphia, you need to file a divorce complaint with the Clerk of Family Court.
The cost of filing a case in Philadelphia
The case filing cost is $277.80. Payment can be made through money order. Cash and personal checks are not accepted.
Factors influencing a divorce in Philadelphia County
Justice in a divorce case in Philadelphia depends on a number of factors. Some of them are:
• Any previous marriage of any party.
• The source of income of both parties.
• Length of the marriage.
• Whether the party will be serving the custody of any dependent minor children.
• Age, health, station, amount and sources of income, vocational skills, employability, estate, liabilities and needs of each of the parties.
• The economic situations of each party.
• The opportunity to acquire assets and income in the future.